No matter what the industry or job at hand is, having tools available to automate, speed up, and save valuable time continues to be extremely important. When it comes to ORM campaigns, it’s no different. So what tools can you put to use to help you with your online reputation management campaign to help it succeed and accomplish your goals faster? That’s a great question, and we have 3 recommendations you might want to consider.
Of course, this doesn’t mean that these tools are the only tools or the best tools that should be used for this type of marketing campaign; and that’s mostly due to the fact that every ORM campaign is different. However, we have found the below tools to be helpful for countless successful ORM campaigns for a variety of clients in numerous industries.
Here’s our 3 recommended tools:
1) Keyword Rank Tracking Software or Dashboard.
– Why?: Due to the fact that there are usually a number of keywords that you’ll want to keep an eye on to ensure that you’re campaign is going in the right direction; even if there is only 1 keyword you’re tracking… you’ll definitely want to keep an eye on the site(s) that you no longer want ranking as high as they do for the target keyword(s).
This becomes even more important when the strategy is actually being implemented so you can keep an eye on what’s working and what isn’t. Otherwise, you won’t have an accurate look at how things are performing.
– Recommendations?: There are a number of programs and dashboard’s we’ve used, but Rank Tracker from the SEO PowerSuite continues to be our favorite. For anyone who doesn’t like RT due to the amount of time it takes to run ranks, etc… we agree that there are definitely faster tools and dashboards that can be setup, but this is our personal preference.
2) Quick Backlink Analysis When Checking The SERPs
– Why?: This is pretty helpful at different stages of working with an online reputation management strategy. Before we begin to discuss methods of using this type of tool, keep in mind that here at Nomvo we aren’t huge fans of some of the most commonly known backlink analysis companies and tools. However, when used for quick analysis… they can save a lot of time when doing analysis, creating the strategy, and during the execution process.
With that said, being able to get an estimate of the types of backlinks some of the top ranking sites have will put any strategist in a better place to figure out what will be needed to rank higher and ultimately get any high ranking negative publicity to rank lower.
– Recommendations?: There are two tools we use to help with this process.
Tool A: Moz Open Site Explorer data, using a paid account; currently the Pro account which costs $99 per month. Along with this we like to use the Moz toolbar which allows a user to manually search for a ORM keyword and automatically see the ranking website’s DA, PA, and other helpful link information. (DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind that Moz’s backlink data is definitely not our favorite, BUT for ORM management… this can save a lot of time and provide helpful information.)
Tool B: Long Tail Pro Platinum, due to the fact that this software currently checks a number of backlink factors for the Top10 ranking website using Majestic SEO’s data. However, the disclaimer above also applies to the MajesticSEO backlink data as well. The downside of using LTP with an ORM repair campaign is that it only checks the websites ranking on page 1 of Google. For those of you looking to get this data for a negative listing on page 2 or even lower in the SERPs, this software won’t be much help as it relates to Top10 analysis; this also applies to a positive listing that you’re trying to get to rank higher but hasn’t yet made it to page 1 of Google.
3) Authoritative Website(s) That Already Rank Top50 (site ownership not needed… Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, etc)
Why?: It will be a much easier and faster moving campaign if you have pages on these highly authoritative websites; particularly if your ORM campaign is focused on keywords related to your brand. If this is the type of online reputation management project you’re working on, then having these type of FREE profiles setup, in your control, and ready to promote will make sure your marketing campaign ends up being a success.
Recommendations?: A few already mentioned… Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, YouTube channel, etc. Another possibility is that if there is some news article or other type of coverage that already ranks possibly Top20 or Top30 you can use those to rank on page 1; and truthfully it could even rank higher and faster than some of the other platforms recommended. This is definitely a tool you don’t want to overlook when mapping out this type of reputation management project.
This is not the end all, be all list for what’s needed for putting in place an impactful and successful ORM strategy but these are 3 tools that shouldn’t be overlooked. There have been 1,000s of projects that have seen long term success without using some or all of the above recommendations, but that doesn’t mean that there’s not room to be even more efficient and successful faster with your ORM project. If you want more detail on anything mentioned above, or about ORM techniques and strategies in general… reach out to us. Nomvo!