Last Updated on January 15, 2021 by msj484
…here we go!
Link building… this is by far one of our most topics to talk about here at Nomvo.com. Why? Since this aspect of digital marketing is probably one of the most dynamic areas when it comes to SEO (search engine optimization). In addition to that, it’s essential to keep in mind that one single link from a highly authoritative and related website can be the difference between ranking #1 for your target keyword and not ranking top100 in the search engines. Such a link can bring in tons of referral traffic for literally years and possibly be the determining factor for someone to choose your website as a preference over one of your competitors.
With that type of importance and impact from one potential link, someone might think that this area of online marketing would be clearly understood and overused by competitors… but quite the opposite is the reality. Of all the requests we receive from visitors to Nomvo.com, a better understanding of and acquiring non-blackhat links has to be by far the most requested topic. It’s for that reason that we’d like to address one of the requests we often receive… that is, whether or not it’s worth investing in a high-quality backlink package or service from one of the many link building agencies currently advertising these services. To address that and similar topics, below, you’ll find four ways we’ve noticed that building quality backlinks or working with a link building company can impact both your business and custom acquisition.
#1: Improved Organic Rankings – Positive Impact
As mentioned above, having a handful of well-chosen and sought after links can make a drastic impact on rankings for both new and old websites. When you find a company that offers a link building package, don’t just focus on the numbers that they advertise or the projects they might provide you with. Instead, ask for current examples of websites and keywords that experienced an improvement as well as examples of good backlinks supplied to other clients in the RECENT past.
Doing this could be the difference between you having better rankings across the board for a number of your keywords, not just the ones associated with the page(s) that received the backlink. As we’ve discussed in other areas of Nomvo.com, a few good links can positively impact the rankings and authority across an entire website.
#2: Un-Natural Backlink Penalty – Negative Impact
Obviously, there are tons of ways to get backlinks for websites in a variety of industries, but the goal is not to get as many links as possible… but as mentioned, the goal is to get QUALITY links. Overlooking this simple, age-old step can be the difference between a website being penalized by a search engine.
If you’re wondering why we’re even talking about this type of link building and the negative impact… we felt we had to address it because truthfully, many, if not most, backlink packages include some form of spammy blackhat practices that can kill a website’s presence online as it relates to rankings in the organic listings of the search engines.
#3: Referral Traffic – Positive Impact
This is probably one of the most overlooked positive aspects of link building, referral traffic. It’s one of those areas of online marketing that sadly isn’t talked about much, neglected, and undervalued. However, once a person has a steady flow of referral traffic, it’s a channel that is both measured positively manipulated.
So if you’re considering purchasing a link building package, it might be helpful to ask for specific examples and websites that will be targeted for link building so you can check their popularity; in the social media space via Alexa and organic rankings. Added to the direct referral traffic you can receive from a high traffic website, it’s very likely that the content on such a website/blog will be syndicated and posted on other websites, resulting in your link being added to other sites as well.
Finally, as it relates to social media and the signals that such a high traffic website might received… every time the content is shared, liked, retweeted, followed, etc… you’re social media portfolio will be improved as well, which will help your site in several ways that is covered in a different article about the impact social media has on the organic SERPs.
#4: Low Quality Backlinks – Negative Impact
Above we already addressed un-natural link building, but this is a bit different. Another popular link tactic used by agencies and contractors is building low quality links; just to be able to tell their client a link(s) was built. Many times this is done using software or an assistant/intern that can simply type in a link, give it a title, and a brief description. That doesn’t mean that these types of links are always bad; a good example is listings in a local business directory. When it comes to local search terms, listings on those types of websites significantly impact how Google and other search engines rank their top10 as well as listings shown in the map format… like Google Places listings.
However, it’s important to know some of the most comment identifiers for understanding what a low-quality link is or not. When looking at the linking page/website:
Does the website/page offer any UNIQUE content that actually helps a person?
Is the content on the page 100% original, or taken/copied from another website?
How old is the website?
Does it appear that it was made to simply link to other websites?
Does it link to websites from just about ANY industry you can find on and offline? (This isn’t always bad, Wikipedia is an excellent example of doing this the right way, meaning the website is structured correctly with the intent of giving factual/informative information… not creating a bunch of links)
Does it rank for anything in the search engines?
Does the website have any REAL social signals?
Do any authoritative websites link to or feature the site?
Does their backlink profile appear to be spammy?
Does the website relate to your industry in any way, shape, or form?
Based on the answers you come up with from these and similar questions, you should be able to clearly determine whether or not a site linking to you is low quality or not. Some skeptics will go onto say that these types of websites get them results and page one rankings in the search engines, and to be honest… they’re probably right.
However, you have to decide what’s more important to you. Ranking a website while following the TOS for a specific search engine OR using whatever method/tactic possible to get the rankings you want no matter how short term and short-sighted the way of building links might be.
If you came here to decide whether or not you should purchase a backlink service, hopefully, the above information will help you see how such a package can impact your business one way or another. Our recommendations to everyone is to do link building yourself since links are a primary part of the foundation for any website looking to maintain and increase organic traffic.
If you’re not in a position to learn how to do this, or you simply don’t want to… there are plenty of good marketing companies out there that can do the job for you. Just make sure you ask the right questions, keep a close eye on what they do, and know that there are at least 4 ways link building can impact your business and customer acquisition, negatively or positively. Nomvo!
- What are good backlinks?
Backlinks that are earned as a result of your site having quality and useful blog posts, or contributing content to other sites that accept guest posts is a great way to get links. Whether you’re in the B2B, B2c, small business, enterprise, or ecommerce SEO industry, the above strategy should be just fine. That said, if you’re not familiar with getting links from guest post partnerships… take a look at Nomvo.com for a few different ideas.
- How many backlinks is too many?
Since YouTube.com has more than 33 BILLION backlinks at this time, with more than 23 MILLION different sites linking to them, and they do very well as it relates to SEO and organic traffic… this isn’t really a question any business should be concerned about.
With that said, when it comes to how many links a site should try to acquire “safely,” it’s important to keep in mind a few data driven best practices such as:
- Learn from the white hat link building case studies of other websites. (If you don’t know of any, ask your link building agency or SEO expert on your team to provide some)
- Do not ignore the value of performing an SEO audit at the start of your path to earning links. It will serve as a way to learn from what your competitors are doing as it relates to how well they implement SEO best practices, technical SEO on their site gives a record of your progress in case you need to do any Google penalty recovery as a result of your link building, and just give you very helpful information that is data driven.
- Remember that at this time local SEO and national SEO strategies, which include link building have some differences that should not be ignored; otherwise you might be headed towards implementing a strategy that results in a Google penalty.
- How long do backlinks take to work?
10 weeks, 1 week, 4 weeks, or longer? While it takes time to both build links and have them “work” or help with your organic search rankings, there is no one size fits all answer to that frequently asked question. We understand that your link building agency might hint at or suggest that you should see some movement in the search engines after a set period of time but numerous experiences and case studies have proven over the years that it really depends on a number of factors. Things to consider when trying to gauge how long it takes for backlinks to work are:
- Is the website receiving the links under some form of a Google penalty?
- Were the links acquired a result of earning links or simply the result of guest post service?
- More often than not, sites that sell links are dealing with their own penalty recovery issues because they ignore SEO best practices… you know… things like relevancy, original content, technical SEO rules, etc.
- When is the last time an SEO audit done for the website receiving the links, and will SEO audits be done in a systematic way for the life of the linking campaign?
- Are the links building built for a website focused specifically on keywords that need a local SEO strategy, or will a national ranking strategy be better suited for the website in question?
- What is a backlink strategy?
Backlink strategies should be part of any national or local SEO digital marketing campaign. While it is important that a business make sure their website, content, and product/service are of the highest caliber BEFORE investing in SEO, earning links with a calculated strategy greatly increases the likelihood of success; aka… not having to worry about dealing with search engine penalty recovery issues.
When thinking about and link building for your website, aside from actually getting links, you’ll also want to not ignore how important and impactful things like technical SEO, SEO audits, reviewing and/or creating case studies, and quality content creation is.
- How can I create backlinks for free?
A few ways to get free backlinks for your website are as follows:
- Build relationships with websites that are known to create backlinks for sites they value, trust, and know. Of course you first need to identify these sites after doing an analysis of multiple sites relevant to your industry, but it’s worth it.
- Send emails to sites that already link to you or a competitor to find if there are more ways to work together in this way. By simply reaching out to them and getting familiar with them builds the connection needed to ultimately get backlinks for free without even having to ask for them.
- Email your customers that you know have a website, and find out the ideal topics you should cover on your website when creating new content. From there, the suggestions provided can guide you as you create useful content for your target audience and you can follow up with them by sending out a monthly newsletter that highlights subjects you’ve covered with them in mind.
- Make sure that internal links are integrated within existing content on your website. That way, there is a much greater chance of pages that might otherwise be hidden, and lacking links will be found by your readers and you can earn more links if the content is both helpful and discoverable by them.
Link Building Service Risks
Can backlinks hurt your site while investing in a link building service?
How do I check if link building company services are successful?
How do I get edu backlinks via link building?